* That was then – August 10, 2010.
- “Islam is a much more peaceful and tolerant religion than it is an aggressive religion.”
- Killeen police arrested Pfc. Nasser Abdo, 21, from Garland, after authorities received a call about a suspicious person at a discount motel less than a mile from Fort Hood’s East Gate, said Carroll Smith, the police department spokeswoman.
- CNN reported that two law enforcement officials said jihadi literature was found in a backpack belonging to Abdo, who said he wanted to attack soldiers at Fort Hood. Officials told CNN they also found six pounds of smokeless powder, Christmas lights and battery-operated clocks — which were apparently intended to create a timing and triggering device of some type — sugar, shrapnel, a pressure cooker, and shotgun shells that were in the process of being dismantled for raw explosives.
* This is becoming a big issue as summer continues. What bikes should be allowed on the bike path? The police department sent out a release saying the vehicle below is classified as a bike.
It may have pedals, but I dare anyone to pedal that thing any more than a few feet (it weighs 65kg). In addition an e-bike is described as a vehicle that has a weight under 120 kg (includes the weight of bike and battery). That’s 260 pounds! I ride a bike that weighs 18.7 pounds and weigh 181 pounds. I do not want to be run down by a 260 pound scooter on the bike path… and that doesn’t include the usually grossly overweight passenger. The police description might be what they determine as accurate, but it’s totally ridiculous. Keep those scooters off the bike path!
* Come on alarmists, admit it, you aren’t buying the global warming scam anymore. How can you possibly continue believing the lie? How can you take any of it seriously? Read the following news stories and then make a decision to finally pull your heads out of the sand… or your a$$.
- Study co-author Dr. Roy Spencer, a principal research scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville and U.S. Science Team Leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer flying on NASA’s Aqua satellite, reports that real-world data from NASA’s Terra satellite contradict multiple assumptions fed into alarmist computer models.
- In short, the central premise of alarmist global warming theory is that carbon dioxide emissions should be directly and indirectly trapping a certain amount of heat in the earth’s atmosphere and preventing it from escaping into space. Real-world measurements, however, show far less heat is being trapped in the earth’s atmosphere than the alarmist computer models predict, and far more heat is escaping into space than the alarmist computer models predict.
- JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — A federal wildlife biologist whose observation in 2004 of presumably drowned polar bears in the Arctic helped to galvanize the global warming movement has been placed on administrative leave and is being investigated for scientific misconduct, possibly over the veracity of that article.
* Do we really need to know everything about Jack Layton’s health? You saw the media scrum the other day… he’s a very sick man with a horrid form of cancer. He’s deathly ill.
- Layton’s inner circle maintains there’s no obligation to disclose all the intimate details of a leader’s personal medical files. Nor is there any history of that sort of transparency in Canada.
- “I think public officials at all levels have a balancing act to provide the public relevant information as well as holding back information of a private nature or information that may be perceived by others as general medical advice,” says Brad Lavigne, Layton’s principal secretary.
* That’s exactly what the Liberals need to do to turn a new leaf, get a new lease on life, rebuild the party. Bring in the defeated and the dinosaurs.
- Former deputy prime minister Sheila Copps and recently defeated Liberal politicians Mark Holland and Siobhán Coady are all gearing up to run for the presidency of the Liberal Party of Canada.
* Election day is a little over 2 months away. Hard to believe isn’t it? The Liberals are going to pull out every trick in the book between now and October 6th. What do they say about a drowning man grasping at straws?
- What we’re watching is the politics of desperation as the Liberals try to refloat their sinking boat.
- Everyone into the lifeboats.
Related: The Ottawa Citizen (liberal)… grasping at straws.
More from an early blog posting here.
* Conservative broadcasters in the United States have been bringing this issue up for weeks. I think it was Mark Levin who first raised the issue. Levin has had a number of constitutional experts on his show (he’s one himself) who say this option is unconstitutional, but that won’t stop the Democrats.
- House Democratic Caucus Chairman John Larson (D-Conn.) acknowledged that Obama has previously expressed doubts about his legal authority to unilaterally raise the debt limit. But circumstances have changed, Larson said, and “we just want to let him know that his Caucus is prepared to stand behind him” if Congress fails to pass a long-term deal.
- “We have to have a fail-safe mechanism,” Larson said. “We believe that fail-safe mechanism is the 14th Amendment and the president of the United States.”
I’m sure this will get some talk on the air today.
Related: Typical liberal playbook. The politics of fear.
- “Happy Holidays America: Boehner plan would have the debt ceiling all over again during the holiday season, which is critical for the economy,” White House deputy spokesman Dan Pfeiffer declared today at 9.50 a.m.
* Until a few years ago I would be all over this. For some reason I’ve developed a fear of heights and don’t like going up on my roof. This does look tempting though.
* I’ll take ‘Game Show Host injuries’ for $100 Alex.
- Mr. Trebek is scheduled for surgery on Friday and is expected to be in a cast for six weeks.
Today on ‘Deep Cuts & Lost Classics’… From the album with no bad songs.
Fleetwood Mac – Gold Dust Woman